Friday, December 2, 2011

Hotel Windsor

I can't leave the visit to Cairo without mentioning the Hotel Windsor. The building has been a private residence and later a British officers' club. It was bought by SwissAir in the late sixties and is now privately owned. The building and its furbishings are pretty old, but everything works well. Seeing the switchboard is well worth the price of admission. The breakfast was tasty and the staff friendly. My room was clean but a bit musty. The water was hot and the toilet flushed. I had a little problem with no-see-ums getting in through the screens.

This is the telephone in my room. I didn't make or receive any calls, but I had a chance to practice my Arabic numerals. The hotel is in the downtown area, away from the tourist hotels and the Egyptian Museum. It was about one-fourth the cost of the Four Seasons. I'd stay there again if the opportunity came up.
And here is my policy on hotel recommendations. If you haven't started reading xkcd, you should.

Hotels

Hotels

No comments:

Post a Comment